MText problems?? Please Help

jaredmccullough

I'm not a role model and I'm not a mentor; I'm just stubborn.:lol:

I tried changing the font style of Main Text from Arial Baltic to Romans (an SHX font) but it has no effect on numerals that were already replaced or changed. Ratz!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• jaredmccullough

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright, I find this a bit weird and I can't explain why I even tried it.

I exploded one of the numbers that exhibits the strange description in the "Contents" box and ended up with two separate and distinct numerals. If you click on one or the other the Contents box displays the lone number and not a string that looks like this:

{\fArial Baltic|b1|i0|c186|p34;8}5

This is after I went and changed the font for Main Text from Arial Bold to Romans.

Best option I was able to come up with so far:

I have identified that using Times New Roman (I know it is a TTF font but I think for the consultants software he uses he needs to be able to pdf the values and to do that you need TTF font from what I was reading Correct??) does not create the same error.

I use QSELECT by the Layer since all the values are on the same layer

I switch their properties to the new text style which I have called "Noise"

The ones that had no issues before then change right to the new style times new roman

The ones that had issues before are half Arial Baltic, half times new roman which because the text difference makes them easily idetifiable

Unfortuanely from here I have to hand change each value to make sure they are correct which there are quite a few but it elimanates having to correct the ones that had no issue

A question for you would be in using the QSELECT option you select can select entire drawing. When I do this it selects all the text on the chosen layer of the particular layout I am on. All of this text is maintained on the same layer for all layouts so I thought that when I changed it the text on this layer it would change on all the layouts but it only changes on the one I am viewing? Is their a way I select the whole file then the layer to change the properties of all this text at one time?

ArialBaltic1.PNG

Before using EXPLODE. The numeral "8" is our bad boy.

ArialBaltic2.PNG

After exploding. The "8" is no longer identified the same way.

Keep in mind though AutoCAD now sees the number "86" are two separate numbers an "8" and a "6".

Yes that is the same thing that I noticed is that it reads the number that was changed say the "5" in that situation as a numerical value but the "8" which was not changed is a string of jargen (which I was assuming related to the format of the number)

Interesting can that be used in anyway to solve the issue?

I applied the EXPLODE as you suggested after changing the "Text Style" to Times New Roman. By doing so the "8" that was an issue automatically adjusts to the new text style of Times New Roman. The only issue at that point is now you have broken the number apart into say "8" and "5" instead of "85"

I don't know how that string could be used unless it could be incorporated in a custom lisp routine somehow. Problem is the numeral might change so a wildcard would probably have to be substituted for it. I don't know. I don't program and I don't do windows.

Since a good deal of your text is in individual layouts I think that without some sort of custom lisp program you'd have to make the changes per layout and not globally. I hope someone here, for your sake, proves me wrong. It might be one of the few times I'd be "happy" about it.

I applied the EXPLODE as you suggested after changing the "Text Style" to Times New Roman. By doing so the "8" that was an issue automatically adjusts to the new text style of Times New Roman. The only issue at that point is now you have broken the number apart into say "8" and "5" instead of "85"

Yes, I am well aware of that. Not sure how that affects the next guy down the line.

Ok so at this point the method I suggested above your pictures is probably the fastest way at correcting the issue?

Oh and sorry I should have explained the software the consultant uses essentially takes the text value of each MTEXT Box and triangulates them to create a contour so the software would end up reading them as "8" and "5" instead of "85"

It appears to be unless we are saved from ourselves by a lisp guru who has taken pity on our plight. I'm stumped for another alternative at the moment. Must... have... caffeine... to... get... brain... working.

haha well I can send you some Keurig cups complimentary of American Refining Group if you want.

This might be a dumb question but as their is an EXPLODE command to break a text box apart. Is there an IMPLODE or some kind of command to combine two seperate text boxes into one value??

American Refining does coffee? I thought they did metal extraction! Sure...send me a container or three. LoL

A lisp routine that reunites to separate numerals into one? I'm not sure. I'd have to look around.

Could be that you end up with a similar type problem though re: Contents box. Might look a bit different but it definitely will not be straight numbers.

Side note. Text styles come in "families". There is the main style which in your case is Arial. Arial Baltic is kind of like a subset of that. As soon as one leaves the main style for one of the subsets then that is when the problem begins. I just tried it with New Times Roman. No problem. But switch to New Times Roman Greek then the same type of string starts showing up in the Contents box. Same goes for New Times Roman Baltic which I expected it would.

Were are actually a small base lube oil petroleum refinery (motor oils) but we buy a lot of coffee

Ya i noticed the same thing. People should be warned of this diabolical curse so the dont end up in the same boat.

And I work for a small specialty chemical company that uses various oils for product blending and we suck down coffee by the tanker load! Three shifts a day/six days a week.

Addendum:

Good news: I found a lisp routine that will combine the two separate numbers into one.

Bad news: It puts a space between the two which has to be eliminated but that might be part of the routine and perhaps could be fixed.

The routine is called Combine Text and it was written by Matt Pittman.

Interesting what company is it you work for? What kind of chemicals do you guys get involved with?

Where might I find this lisp at? And to what specifics would I look for to potentially eliminate this space?

I work for a company called King Industries, Inc.

http://www.kingindustries.com/

What kinds of chemicals? Well we have a few of the ordinary, every day types and a few that are specific to our manufacturing process. Ex. - Mineral spirits on the one hand and fuming sulfuric acid on the other.

Do you do batch processing or continous operations? Are you guys covered under Process Safety Management stipulations?

And If you feel it is operable do you have the code that I could use?

We mainly do batch processing. PSM? Oh yeah, big time! And at least three different ISO programs too. Not to mention Homeland Security likes to come around every now and then just to check up on us.

I'll be back....with that lisp routine in just a moment. Hang on.

I am the process safety manager for out plant as well as I get involved in alot of Industrial Hygiene work this actually being for a noise assessment project. But I have a thing for chemical processing I enjoy seeing whats out there