MText problems?? Please Help

jaredmccullough

Use a standard SHX font and avoid using a TTF font.

ReMark to the rescue with a very pragmatic suggestion. :beer:

We all want our drawings to look good, maybe even special, but at what price?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• jaredmccullough

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tend to avoid TTF fonts like the plague. Some of us become so enamored of the fact that we can use "pretty" fonts we forget that first and foremost they must be readable when printed at different scales and second is that the use of TTF fonts in an AutoCAD drawing is not the same as using them in a document. Your results may vary as been aptly demonstrated in this thread. If you are going to use TTF fonts test the heck out of them before doing so because they are likely to let you down at the most inopportune moment.

Ok so I have changed the Text Style for which I plan to use from here on out to SHX (more specifically bold.shx) Font and it seems to work ok. Is there anyway I can go back and select the data I have already inputed and change it from the old Text Style that had issues to the new one I am using?

Options include using a lisp routine, a custom macro, or the MATCHPROP command. You could possibly even make use of QSELECT too. Your choice.

all the text is on the same layer so if I "QSELECT" by Layer pick the layer name that it is all on then go to properties and change it to a different "Text Style" that should work correct?

When you run the Lisp it asks for old style text and then new style text and I put in the appropriate information. Then it asks to select shape but when I try clicking on the text it is not allowing me to select it? Any thoughts

Yes sir I do and I apologize for being a novice I am really trying to learn though

You have nothing to apologize for. Except for JD Mather none of us was born with an innate knowledge of AutoCAD.

When you run the Lisp it asks for old style text and then new style text and I put in the appropriate information. Then it asks to select shape but when I try clicking on the text it is not allowing me to select it? Any thoughts

Hmmm. Odd. Give me a moment. I'll be back!

Just tested the lisp routine in 2013. No problem.

CHANGE

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects: Specify change point or [Properties]:

Specify new text insertion point :

Enter new text style : HELVO

Specify new height :

Specify new rotation angle :

Enter new text :

It could be prompting for a shape because of one of the fonts (the TTF?) you are using? Since that thought just occurred to me I'd have to test it. Did you happen to try the QSELECT method yet?

You are inputting the name of the style and not the name of the font right?

What is really strange is that when I change the text say like i tried with "QSELECT" I chose the text from the entire layer that I am having this issue on. I then changed the "Text Style" to a different annotation. So all the values that were fine changed with no problem but the ones that had an issue with the "Error" code that shows in the content section the value that was "backspaced" or deleted say the "5" that was changed to a "7" when going from "85" to "87". Well the "7" actively changes when using the "QSELECT" but the "8" of the "87" still remains in the old format that is creating the issue? So even after making there is actually two style text in one text box the "8" being one style and the "7" being another which still in turn provides the "content" error. If you get what I am saying?

OK I was able to reproduce the problem you are encountering with the use of QSELECT. I think it all goes back to the fact you used a TrueType font.

The lisp routine does not work on MText and it won't work if you have a space in the text style name like Main Text.

So unfortunately it seems the only correction is to go in and change each value individually?

Actually I was able to recreate this effect in a new drawing file. All you have to do is open a new drawing in Autocad.

Create a new text style under "Manage Text Styles". Just use the suggested name of "Style1"

Set the font type to "Arial Baltic" and height to say "1" for example

Now put in a number lets just say "85" click out of the text box to apply the number to the drawing

Now click back in the text box and change the "5" to a "7".

Click outside the box to apply it to the drawing.

Now go to properities and you will see the error.

"I opened a new drawing file created text using the same format, copied it, used the Lee Mac lisp, and changed the values and it worked fine."

Well that's good news in a way isn't it?

haha sorry spoke to soon if you read my edit above you should be able to re create the issue in any blank drawing file. Unfortunately I dont know what to do from here???????:?

"Unfortunately I dont know what to do from here?"

Well that makes two of us. I'll have to give it some more thought.

OK thank you Remark and I appreciate all your efforts.... you have been a great mentor for me.

As a side note it is definately the Arial Baltic style text because in doing so with a blank drawing and switching to a plain "Arial" style you do not create the same issue but then when you go back to "Arial Baltic" the issue occurs again. Wish it had a warning label