• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• sandiegophil

• Tiger

• Organic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't understand how a civil program would not have tees, wyes, elbows, reducers/increasers and adapters for reinforced concrete pipe included as part of the package. Not all sewers are manhole-to-manhole or catchbasin-to-manhole.

Welcome to Civil 3d and the lack of practicing engineers on the programming team...

For pressure pipes yes, som. (update: tee's and elbows I can find, no wyes) But that wasn't introduced until 2013 so it's still heavily under development.

I'm off the opinion that a feature shouldn't be released until it is fully developed. It should not be released while still being under significant development etc. The grading tools in Civil 3D were a prime example of this (in previous releases) etc.

Is there a program that is more suitable to the task of designing sanitary and storm sewers? Something that has more relevancy to the real world? When I worked for a municipality we designed a junction chamber than took the entire flow of the city (13 sq. miles) via eight large diameter concrete pipes. It was custom made for us. How would something like this be handled in Civil 3D as it was not what one would call a normal manhole? In fact it was more like a large septic tank in shape (rectangular) with three four foot diameter openings at the top. The openings were square and "Bilco" doors were installed not manhole rings and covers. Does Civil 3D have a feature for watertight manhole covers or isn't that considered a necessary feature of the program?

Mostly has to do with Water, but if you really want to get into it, you can learn how to create your own parts through parts builder.

http://aucache.autodesk.com/au2008/sessions/3186/CV310-3-Create-Custom-Water.pdf

Or you can buy them.

http://www.cad-1.com/products/part-builder-library/

Not much else out there for this kind of thing. Learn it or 3rd Party. The usual thing with Autodesk.

Is there a program that is more suitable to the task of designing sanitary and storm sewers? Something that has more relevancy to the real world? When I worked for a municipality we designed a junction chamber than took the entire flow of the city (13 sq. miles) via eight large diameter concrete pipes. It was custom made for us. How would something like this be handled in Civil 3D as it was not what one would call a normal manhole? In fact it was more like a large septic tank in shape (rectangular) with three four foot diameter openings at the top. The openings were square and "Bilco" doors were installed not manhole rings and covers. Does Civil 3D have a feature for watertight manhole covers or isn't that considered a necessary feature of the program?

Yes, there are certainly better programs for the actual design of pipe networks although the programs that I am familiar with do not provide as good a 3d visual representation as Civil 3D does (some people like that although most people couldn't care less from my experience).

Civil 3D is quite good at 3d visual representation and interactive design, although lacks in a lot of other areas. In terms of modelling of road corridors and intersections Civil 3D is particularly good as it speeds up the process, although for pipe networks (and up until recently grading/earthworks) it is well behind the 8 ball.

As for the custom pit you mentioned, no, nothing that specific comes with the program. You can make one yourself although that is no easy feat. I remember we tried it and quickly discarded the idea of doing that.

When I used to use Civil 3D daily and had to do this, it was basically just use the closest default Civil 3D pit for everything and then use a block to visually replace that of the pit (in 2d), so it would look accurate in the 2D plan sets. Obviously for 3d visulisation you would still see the default pit used although 3d visulisations were never used for client presentation so it didn't matter.

I just find it somewhat puzzling that a program that costs so much would neglect to include such detail. Some of the programmers should do an internship with a municipal public works department or a construction company that works on such projects to get a better idea of what happens in the real world.