drafix cad ultra V4.20 (DOS)

md2020

drafix cad ultra V4.20  (DOS)

I bought this cad program in the early 90's, I have all the books and all 5 of the 3-1/2" floppies 

This cad program is very easy to use.

I have tried other programs (FREE) and paid for Autosketch, cadstd

What Cad programs work like this? and can I get my drawing moved over???

I have 1000's and 1000's of hours using this program.

Thanks

You may be lucky and someone else may have used that program in th past (present?), but failing that you would need to explain at least a few of the details about what makes that program so easy to use for the rest of us who have never seen it, so we could maybe point you at a program that works in a similar fashion, or a method to perform similar behaviour in a different CAD package. A few good descriptions would be great even better would be somthing visual video/animated gif or at least a few screen shots to show features that are 'easy'

17 hours ago, md2020 said:

drafix cad ultra V4.20  (DOS)

I bought this cad program in the early 90's, I have all the books and all 5 of the 3-1/2" floppies 

This cad program is very easy to use.

I have tried other programs (FREE) and paid for Autosketch, cadstd

What Cad programs work like this? and can I get my drawing moved over???

I have 1000's and 1000's of hours using this program.

Thanks

It may be worth looking into a virtual machine that duplicates/approximates the system on which you used it originally. Once you install it on the virtual machine, you can back it up and use it for any number of projects.

1 hour ago, f700es said:

So you are trying to find something similar to Drafix? Again, what type of drawings did you do with it?

Tool And die work and Machine work (Old school) drawings for progressive die's. Most everyone has a pull down Attic stairway (folding stair) in the home. I made progressive dies to make all the metal parts. And Drill machines to drill the holes in ALL of the boards.

Designing Special machinery 

I'm into Traditional Archery, so I draw a build Recurve and Static Recurve bows.

I will get some things together later today as far as how it works.

19 minutes ago, CyberAngel said:

It may be worth looking into a virtual machine that duplicates/approximates the system on which you used it originally. Once you install it on the virtual machine, you can back it up and use it for any number of projects.

YES, My computer guy want's do do that for me.

I hope I would be able to use a 3 button mouse.

I'm going to look into the virtual machine.

My computer is being worked on at  the moment so I will get back with you.

I will also look into some of the CAD programs you have suggested.

Thanks 

Not sure what is going on with your computer since you have not mentioned why you need an alternative.

A new computer running Windows 10 32-bit can be set up to run old programs with  NT Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM), not sure how old, you might see if yours can run on it and if that's an option to use 32-bit.

Have you tried Draftsight? It is still free for MAC and Linux and a free trial for Windows.

If you are able to find a workable solution for your Drafix Cad Ultra V4.20, you should look into converting your floppies to an image disk or thumb drive.

• Like 1

I Think I changed computers back in 2001, running windows 1998. (My computer guy set it up )When I boot the computer it goes straight to the CAD program.

System Properties
Genuinelntel
Pentium (r) Processor
32.0MB Ram

MD, we have GOT to get you up to date on things sir.  My daughter's 6 year old Chrome book has more power that your PC.  ;)  j/k
Hey, use what works for you.

1 hour ago, SLW210 said:

Have you tried Draftsight? It is still free for MAC and Linux and a free trial for Windows.

That or for $150 USD one can buy CMS-IntelliCAD 9.1 P.E. 
https://www.intellicadms.com/store/upgrades/381-cms-intellicad-9-1-pe-2d-3d-cad-software-download

A "newer" modern PC for under $250 w/ 4th gen Intel i5 quad cpu, 8 gb ram and 256 ssd hdd
https://www.newegg.com/hp-elitedesk-800-g1-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-001E-18FE3?Item=9SIADUM88M9159

Shoot throw in a big screen 23.8" 1080 lcd
https://www.newegg.com/dell-kg49t-24-full-hd/p/N82E16824260655

Good to go for a years!

I am sure there are some good second hand pc's out there a bit older but with good power and 64bit. Upgrade to win 10  I know I have 3 laptops 1st is say 10 years old but works with autocad, my daughter bought a new one but her old one would be fine for cad.

Looked at the link could not go wrong for $250 us.

Had an email from Zwcad its another clone.

Edited by BIGAL